Thursday 16 February 2012

Massive Turnover

Today's weather: High = 6 Low = 0
Cloudy

The boss gave us staff until today to make a final decision if we're staying on to work next school year or not. I had my decision pegged during the vacation, after some wavering and checking other gigs that didn't match up to this gig. But I was astonished to learn today that many teachers have decided they are NOT coming back next year and have finalized it. The reasons why? Who the heck knows.

The facts are about an upcoming 75% staff turnover which is the first time in the history of this school and the highest relative turnover rate in my 6 years of offshore experience. Other schools such as Maple Leaf had a high absolute turnover each year but relatively, it tended to hover around 50%.

What this means is after a mere two years working here I'm now going to be the "old guy". Such is how it works in China and I had rapidly achieved this "old timer" status in Maple Leaf earlier in 2008 before throwing in the towel on that gig.

The good news is that I'll likely have my pick of courses next year and can mix in both math and physics like I was doing previously. Some years it is all math, other years it is all physics, but I prefer a mix of both. The bad news is the loss of friends and colleagues I get along with currently and a whole new set of dynamics and relationships next year.

Even so the life in Shanghai is so much better overall as this is a first tier city. As such we attract a more positive breed of teachers than those who work in 2nd tier cities like Dalian, and/or in isolated suburban outposts.

Which begs the question as to why so many are leaving Shanghai. Like I said I don't know. But they are. It won't be hard to find replacements that is for sure. As the old guy now I may as well claim this is my city.

No comments:

Post a Comment