Sunday 15 April 2012

We Have a Crackdown

Today's scooter ride to work was a little scary. There is a colossal intersection I have to pass through each way (Caoxi Rd and Zhongshan Rd). Police love to stand around and nab unregistered scooters as they are waiting for the lights. The usual tactic I have is to sit back 50m from the red light and wait for it to change, then go through with the mass pack of other scooters when the light changes, thus blending in with the crowd.

Imagine my shock when I saw no fewer than 6 police officers flanking the intersection and coordinating their attacks to stop the scooters. They were quite aggressive about it, and walking around back and forth to catch people like me who stop before the light. I had to do quite a few stealth moves, U-turns, ride against traffic to get away from the intersection completely.

Then a few hours later I was walking to the bank and I saw a blue truck parked and full of scooters which were already confiscated. This is not a good sign. The bike is parked at the school now, safely underground, and it may stay there for awhile. Rather park the bike voluntarily and take a break from riding, as opposed to the police taking away my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment