Tuesday 9 November 2010

Feeling Good in the Long Stretch

Today's weather: High = 19 Low = 7
Sunny

For those familiar with the Chinese holiday schedule and the school semester schedule, the longest stretch between holidays occurs right now. Last holiday was October break, or National Day. The next one isn't until Lunar New Year, about mid-January. Unfortunately, I considered the National Holiday a write-off for me anyway, and was really worried that it would set me back for this long stretch for the next 3-4 months.

Thankfully, this long stretch is turning out to be OK. It is remarkably different from the depression of previous years. I'm actually enjoying life and finding it going quite well, instead of preparing for the usual dread of going through this 3-4 month slog every year.

The weather plays a big role in this. It's the first time in years I remember the gorgeous weather continuing right into November. Last year and the year before, an early and long winter set in with freezing cold fronts, rain, and biting winds. With the exception of a cold front a couple weeks ago, it has remained relatively mild up until this point. That makes a huge difference with bearable motorcycle rides to work, and then finishing work in the afternoon without needing to wear a jacket.

The lack of commuting is also helping me feel a lot better. It is a simple 5-10 minute motorcycle zip on downtown streets to get to work. That can be exilerating, as the roads are super crowded and it's a constant game of dodgeball the whole way through. Nothing like a cold blast of wind and a real-life video game to wake me up. Since it's so short, I don't get to feel the nasty effects of cold hands or leg burn like in the commuting hell while I was working at Sino Canada a couple years back.

The only downside to this method of transport is that it's more or less required, ironically, just like it was required at Sino. The bike is unregistered, which is a major pain in downtown Shanghai as there are constant police to dodge. Of course, I could do without the motorcycle and use the subway but that would turn the trip into 30+ minutes and then it *would* be a commute! Walking to the subway takes up to 15 minutes. Once in the station, all the rush hour controls and security checks make for convoluted paths and waiting which adds time to the commute. It's not worth it for only going 2 stops. The other alternative is a taxi, but they are impossible to find in rush hour and even if I get one, I'd just end up sitting in really bad traffic jams.

The motorcycle is really the most convenient choice. It takes me door-to-door, bypasses all the traffic jams, and allows me to enjoy more sleep and still get to work on time.

Another positive are the relaxing work hours. Most of my classes are taught in the morning, 40 minute each, and then there are the long lunch hours. Most of the tutorial times with my students are during lunch, unlike at the other schools where the only available time was after school. So that means I can usually walk out the door around 3pm, go home for a much-needed afternoon nap, do lesson planning, and still have time for other stuff in the evenings.

Speaking of which, I've really gotten involved in exactly that. Two nights of the week are for church-related activities and there is another thing I've got going on the weekends.

So all in all it's working out pretty good. There isn't much of a need to travel, although one of these days I need to make a trip to Wuhan and withdraw all the cash from my old bank account.

No comments:

Post a Comment