Sunday 16 January 2011

Continuing to Watch that Forecast

If the papers are saying this, and now only two days away, this is getting rather worrisome. Will just have to keep watching the forecast and execute my emergency back-up plan in place if things go belly up at the last minute -- that is, if my flight ends up being grounded.

-----------------
Yesterday's high was just 0.9 degrees Celsius.

Rain, snow and ice are forecast through Friday in many parts of China and could disrupt travel plans for millions who aim to get on the road ahead of the Spring Festival holiday.

Shanghai is expected to see some rain and sleet this week with temperatures falling below zero.

"This could cause some trouble to transport in the lead up to the Spring Festival," the weather bureau said.
------------------

So what is the emergency back-up plan? An extra train ticket south to Wenzhou, 4 hours away, which is the next closest city south that is guaranteed to be out of range of the forecasted ice storm. If things go belly up and my flight gets cancelled on Thursday night, then I've got a train ticket booked for later that night. Once in Wenzhou, I'll then get another flight to Shenzhen. It'll cost a lot more doing this, and I've already lost with buying the aforementioned train ticket as a back-up plan.

But the original flight itself is super cheap, and that's how I justify it. There may also be a chance I can scalp the Wenzhou train ticket if it turns out my flight is indeed leaving on Thursday night and isn't cancelled.

I basically left myself an extra day in Guangzhou / Shenzhen between flights just in case something like this were to happen, and the emergency plan would end up using up that day.

Let's really hope it doesn't come down to actually having to execute this plan, but one thing is for sure: after what happened 3 years ago in 2008, I am not putting up with any shenanigans or staying around in record cold weather with the masses. Not doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment