Thursday 26 May 2011

Computer Fixed, Year Wrapping Up

Today's weather: High = 22 Low = 18
Cloudy and windy

Thanks to the services of the computer repair center at the top of the Shangai Electronics Market, my computer has been fixed without the need to trash it and/or buy a new one. Actually the problem was rather serious. The keyboard had been damanged, and so had the I/O device linked to the CPU. The guy at the shop said they had to order a new one and ship it up from Shenzhen -- hence the delay. I still got a good price on it, so no complaints. Actually, the shop vendor said he could help order a new computer anyway, the latest Lenovo. So I might just take him up on that.

Turns out that backing up the hard drive was a good call, but not necessary for now! At any rate, no regrets! For any prospective teacher, it never hurts to make multiple back-up copies of your marks and course resources!!

Things continue to move at a frantic pace as we enter June -- the worst month for teachers. This was the key reason for taking care of all the hassles related to my personal business in April and May. So it would later free up time for a whole series of hassles related to company business in June. The usual China bureaucratic hassles apply here when it comes to ordering textbooks, negotiating contracts, and a whole host of other things.

Similarly, as I'm ruthless in cutting costs and saving money in my personal business affairs, then I do the same to save money for the company I work for.

The move out to the midburbs continues box by box on a motorcycle. At a rate of one box per day it'll take 3 weeks to complete the whole move, but no worries. I enjoy sleeping out there now as it's quiet and I can actually sleep in peace now. The morning motorcycle commute is also working out nicely, about 20 minutes in the middle of rush hour. I can bomb along at a rockin' pace until approaching the inner ring road when everything slows to a crawl. During the last 10% of the commute, it's a completely chaotic mix of bikes, cars, trikes, people, and the usual rush hour throng.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to test-commute it on the subway in the middle of rush hour and see how it goes, comparing times.

No comments:

Post a Comment