Sunday 15 May 2011

Summer Adventures: Tibet

Today's weather: High = 29 Low = 18
Sunny

The plans for summer are shaping up. First part will involve some rather intense teacher training and motorcycle training in my home province. Depending on timing, there may likely be a 3-week delay before I can actually do a vehicle road test. There may also be screw-ups related to drivers licenses being put in the mail.

At any rate, I'm not changing flights based on potential delays or bureauratic hassles. The gameplan is to spend a couple weeks doing bicycle training around my home province in Canada -- including high mountain peaks for altitude training (see below). After that's it's a long-awaited dream to do some cycling in Tibet.

Once I'm trained up and have hopefully got all the documents I need from back home, then it's back in the airplane to Shanghai. After a short rest, I'll be making tracks for some bicycle adventures in Tibet. That's where the training is gonna come in handy.

During my spare time I frequent the website 'Crazy Guy on a Bike'

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com

This website has many positive accounts of cyclists who have gone into Tibet recently. It's one murderous ride, that's for sure. I'll probably give up halfway through, but hopefully the training will prepare somewhat. We'll just see. The ride has spectacular scenery and rewards -- the best on the planet. This has been a long-term dream that may finally happen this summer. At any rate, I'm researching this one out.

1 comment:

  1. Hello: I am Egyptian teacher .. Looking for friends in other countries .. I want to exchange cultural identifier, especially with regard to teaching methods ... My name is Ahmed .. Arabic language teacher

    ReplyDelete