Wednesday 25 May 2011

Rooting For My Cycling Brother

The website 'Crazy Guy on a Bike' has numerous bicycle journals about people who are crazy, just like me, to ride a bike. It's one of the best cycle travelogues out there, and has been a source of great reading for me these days. There are three travelogues I'm reading simulataneously.

Edward's is one of the best out there, and his is called the Cycling Vagabond. He is more or less making the sacrifice on my behalf (well not really) to ride through Tibet without a permit --- the highest amount of risk for such a trip. Since he's doing it right now as I type, his journal is the most recent and best source of information I've been looking for.

Much to my amazement, the guy is now only 200km away from finishing off the Tibet portion of the trip! In other words, he is now 80% of the way through Tibet and he did the whole thing without even applying for a permit. I'm going for the medium-risk option where I actually get a permit (see last post)

His route is pretty much exactly the same as I'll be doing, so I'm no doubt glued to his blog.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=8251&v=lE&term=vagabond&context=all

I tried to warn him as much as possible to be careful, and not celebrate or let down the guard prematurely. That would be a tactical error, as the last 200km down to the Nepal border is the most difficult in terms of checkpoints. There are numerous other blogs out there on how to avoid those checks, but they are at least a year old. I'm curious to see what has changed recently. So thanks a ton Edward for making the sacrifice, and testing the waters.

We'll just have to see. In his own words, he's going to slow down the trip to a crawl once crossing into Nepal and then take a breather as he updates his blogs with the details that I would be looking for.

Cheers brother, we're rooting for you

No comments:

Post a Comment