Thursday 1 December 2011

Gonna Tough it Out and Stay

Today's weather:  High = 12  Low = 1
Cloudy

While checking out another school in town yesterday, I had to realize that we still have it pretty good at our current gig.  Even though conditions are not as good this year as last, they are still a lot better than other schools.  In this sense, there's no reason to change.  What I found shocking was that I went to this other school at around 5pm and the teacher prep rooom was still full of people working.  The school itself had a culture of "stay after hours and do clubs, hobbies, extra-curricular work" which is an automatic fail in my books because it is a 'culture of sacrifice'.   5pm is too late to be at school every day when the work day begins at 7am, even earlier.   Plus the compensation for housing isn't even close to what is offered where I'm at now.  
 
To make a long story short, I'll do one more year at this current place, no changes.  Even so, the original plan remains where I'm looking at June 2013 tops to end this current career and then transition into something else.   By then I'll have a secondary income source as well as the masters degree should be nearly finished, so I'll be in good shape to hit the Himalayas for a few months to regroup and figure out the next move in life.
 
In the more short-term, I've got two razzle-dazzle trips lined up.  Winter break is going to be South Thailand and Burma.  Summer break is going to be Tibet, Nepal, and India.

No comments:

Post a Comment