Friday 2 March 2012

Mulling Over National Day Trip

In looking at our holiday schedule, an unexpected option cropped up for when a return visit to Canada could happen ... that being National Day or the 7-day October holiday.

Throw in a couple of sub coverages on either side of the holiday, and this could make for a nice 10-day break.

The main challenge, however, is to come up with a reason for doing this. With all this mulling over which week-long holiday would be the best to return to Canada, or even to do it in the first place, the question is what compels me to go back every year? Every trip is a culture shock to the extreme, right from the get-go where I step off the plane and go through immigration at the airport.

With dozens of smooth and pleasant border countries in Asian countries, why do I then get treated like a criminal when passing through immigration of my home country? Then there is the reality of sticker shock, and going broke no matter how hard I try and cut costs.

So I suppose it is tradition, more than anything else, that compels me to go back every year. There is this thinking that we should go back to Canada every year. Christmas being the best time, of course. Maybe I'll still do that. Who knows. Eventually I'll have something figured out.

For summer I want a two month extended travel break. The school agreed to my cash request and we negotiated a nice deal in lieu of a summer plane ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment