Tuesday 20 March 2012

The Power of the Pad

Having picked up the IPad in Hong Kong last weekend, I'm getting a feel for how to use it. On the surface it is just a small tablet. But holding all that technological power in your hands, you somehow feel like you are playing God. The possibilities of what the IPad can do are downright frightening.

I spent a few hours learning the ropes and setting up basics like Itunes and photos, and I had nightmares after the fact. Not because it's complicated, actually the process is remarkably user friendly.

The nightmares came from realizing just how much potential this tablet actually has and what it can do. The Ipad could easily turn into an idol.

With the push of a few buttons I was able to back up my entire photo and music collection onto ICloud, and sync it onto the IPad. Then I downloaded a few podcasts and listened to amazing quality music.

That is just the beginning. Having talked to a few people using the IPad, it has potential to do just about anything. What I'm most interested in is downloading apps related to maps and GPS in order to fuel my bicycle travel hobby addiction.

Combine that with the capabilities of 3G internet surfing, the next step is to get a SIM card and be able to surf the internet anywhere. This is now making me realize the possibility of doing China bike travel again, with the internet bugaboo having been solved with the IPad.

China bike travel used to be enjoyable, but it got very difficult with the relentless restrictions on internet cafes and the hotel difficulties for foreigners. The Ipad may solve this problem with the use of 3G surfing, and the use of GPS and maps to pin down suitable hotels that accept foreigners. While arriving in a new city, tired and exhausted at the end of the ride, I can then follow the GPS course and check into a hotel which might actually accept me.

The IPad can do a heck of lot more than just this. There is the possibility to download entire books onto it and read, not to mention practice writing Chinese characters using various apps.

Writing characters has long been something I wanted to do but is holding me back on Chinese learning. It may be possible now.

These ideas and countless more are now possible with the Ipad. Yet that is precisely what makes this tablet so very frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment