Saturday 31 March 2012

Weekend Make-Up Days are Terrible

There is no justification for this whatsoever, especially when it includes both Saturday and Sunday to get a 3-day holiday, and when today's weather happens to be a high of 21, a low of 12, and sunny.

I can never understand this ridiculous policy to work on weekends to make up holidays.  We rarely had to do it at previous teaching jobs such as Maple Leaf and Sino Canada.  But this school takes the cake.  At any rate, nothing to do really but play the babysitter role.

I'm in the process of doing the math on how often our weekends have been ruined this year, or will be ruined.  Not encouraging.  The lack of general holidays at this school is a key reason why I'm taking advantage of the entire summer break to plan a major bike trip in Asia, because this is the only remaining option.  As well, I'm making plans to quit teaching in BC offshore schools altogether by June 2014,  and move on to something else.  The next two years I need the money fairly badly and it only makes sense to keep going, and put up with some of these things ... but in the long term, there is no way I would endure these kind of working conditions.

I take inspiration from a guy I met in Thailand last summer who finances his extended vacations through a "passive income", in his case, from real estate investments.  As promised, will eventually write up a detailed post on the financial and career plans I've been cooking up over the last year or so, and how I might be able to do something similar to this guy, most certainly within the next five years.

No comments:

Post a Comment