Friday 8 July 2011

AP Workshop Turned My Brain to Mush

Today's weather:  High = 19  Low = 12
Partly cloudy and cool
 
The one-week AP Summer workshop for teacher is over, and the time flew by -- as expected.  It's a cram session, and a very useful one at that.  But the AP Calculus session was a brain overload.
 
Will update a lot more of this in detail once I get more time on my hands, which should hopefully be next week.
 
Things got so intense during the workshop that a bunch of us were solving a calculus problem during the coffee break.  My train of thought, verbalized to my colleague about how to solve the problem went something like, "Don't we need to minus off this part and then take the integral?"
 
Some socials or language teacher butted in on the conversation and said, "Is 'minus' even a verb?"
 
I should have said, "I don't know and I don't care."
 
What a dolt for her to butt in and ask something like that, and it totally threw my train of thought off the tracks.  I just stood there stunned, trying to recover the solution process to this calculus problem that had been dogging us for the past 30 minutes before the coffee break.
 
My colleague then pulled the rest of us to the side with a not-so-subtle cue of, "Let's move over here" and then we managed to solve the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment