Monday 11 July 2011

Bookings and Changes

Today's weather: High = 25 Low = 14
Cloudy

One of these days I'll be able to enjoy my summer break, and actually do nothing. Unfortunately I've been going 100 miles an hour with various tasks and courses, and that has carried over from June.

The good part is that things will slowly ease into a more relaxing holiday, as the motorcycle course is winding down and I've taken care of most of the tasks that have to be done back here in Vancouver. There are always more things to do of course, but it looks like I can finally enjoy a holiday now.

Most importantly, I was able to change my flight back to Shanghai leaving July 23, which is one day after I book a road test and hopefully pass on July 22. Regretably there were no other options until August as the flights were all jam packed, and full, full, full. So that's just the way it'll have to be.

Actually, I'm taking a significant risk by booking a flight right after a road test, in case of a failed road test when there won't be any time for a repeat. Because of this, I'm shelling out big bucks for an extra private VIP motorcycle training session, not to mention 24 hours of motorcycle rental for self-practice. The pracitce will consist of riding every possible scenario of routes in the range of streets and highways where they've told us the test will take place.

To put it simply, I'm going to practice my brains out and do whatever I can to maximize the odds of a pass, because so much is riding on getting that motorcycle license.

This is in addition to the group road riding this week and mock road test we'll be doing as a group, which is included in my actual motorcycle course.

If all goes well, I'll be heading to airport fully stocked up and things taken care of on this end, which could easily make the next round abroad last for 3+ years continuously. I'll most likely come back for another visit before then, but it would certainly be stress-free, I will see to that. And if I wanted to skip the whole thing with jet lag, etc. and stay for an extra long time the next round, that option is also possible.

One of the things that really pisses me off is the misconception from others that we teachers sit on our butts all summer (and winter break) and enjoy pina coladas at the beach. I get this kind of talk all the time from people on both continents, whether here in Vancouver or in Shanghai. They always go on about how it's so unfair, the teachers get all this time off, blah, blah, blah.

Yes, sure we get the summer off but it's not exacty 7 weeks of sitting around and lounging on the beach. If last week has been any indication, I've been working my ass off with coursework and upgrages, and some rather convoluted transport mess on top of it.

Then again, it has all been optional, in the sense that nobody is putting a gun to my head and saying I must take educational Pro-D upgrade courses, or apply to motorcycle skills training in order to earn a legal drivers license. It has been voluntary, to be sure, but I work on my own schedule.

Heck, maybe just to piss off the people who are pissing me off with this 'teachers have it so good talk, I'll go down to Club Med beach and sip my drinks just to prove that I can do that.

I resent the idea of working to a fixed schedule and taking severely limited holidays per year, which is the norm in both China or North America. I would rather be productive, that is work really hard in spurts, and then get relaxing time thrown in between, all the while being flexible and creative which is where it really counts.

Besides, with all this fixed office 9-5 corporate time, what really happens is people get on their computers and waste the hours on facebook and MSN. The corporate life is hardly productive, and I think teachers are more productive in the overall sense due to the flexible hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment