Wednesday 20 July 2011

Major Setback Regarding Road Test

No, I didn't fail, but what happened was a lot worse. The test hasn't happened yet and I discovered my name has been canceled from the booking list.

I went into this whole thing knowing it was a little risky, given the limited times to get everything done, and hinging all this time and money on a 'one-shot deal' with passing a road test then heading to the airport the next day.

If I fail the test, I can accept that, and at least I know it's a clear reason. But for an administrative error to happen as it did, this is really unfair. Here is what happened:

1. I contacted my instructor to book a road test this Friday, which he did, and this was confirmed by email.

2. After the initial training, I wrote him another email to inquire about renting a bike with the company and for more practice time.

3. He may have interpreted that as a request for me to cancel the road test booking

4. The booking was indeed canceled by him, but there was no confirmation

5. I found out all this by attending the mock road test tonight, talking to other riders, and then discovering that the instructor I had booked the test with did indeed cancel my official road test.

At this point there is little I can do except go in person and present my case to the company, and see how they can help. I will also show up on Friday on 'standby' in the event that someone doesn't show up for their appointment, is late, or there is some other opportunity to slot me in at the very last minute.

One way or the other, I'm counting on a miracle here because my flight back to Shanghai is already booked and there is no changing it this time round.

What I'm going to do is post the sequence of emails with all names deleted and you can judge for yourself whether what happened was fair or not.

-----------------
July 11
Me: Hi [instructor], things went well with the skills test yesterday and I passed it. The drills we did on Sat and Sun were really appreciated. I'd like to book a road test on Friday July 22 and a mock test on the 20th if that can be arranged. Also, I'm interested in doing an extra practice session on Thursday (21st) with that VIP service as I saw in the classroom. Does that include a bike as well?

July 11
Instructor: Hi Steve, I've booked your road test for Fri July 22. Mock test Wed July 20. Both are at [location]. I am currently booked for private lesson until the end of August.

July 12
Me: That's excellent thanks a lot.

July 13
Me again: Hi [instructor] I had a chat with [another instructor] yesterday and we figured that I'd be better off with more road practice time. With that in mind, can [the company] arrange a 24 hour rental with a GS500 bike, say from Monday - Tuesday next week? I heard someone saying that the rentals can only be on a weekend, but wanted to check with you first

July 13
Instructor: Hi Steve, no problem to cancel. We are only able to rent on Saturday and Sunday's.

July 14
Me: Turns out I'm still good with the July 22 road test date, was looking for VIP lessons with (other instructors) but they suggested I'd be better off doing a bike rental and practice time. Will see you later tonight, and chat about rentals, etc.
--------------------

For the record, I had met with and chatted with this instructor for two times after the July 14 email was sent out, and there was no confirmation that he had indeed canceled the test.

By process of deduction, the cancelation paperwork must have taken place on either July 13 or 14th, and all this was discovered on July 20 (tonight)

Obviously I am pissed off, but I have to accept the mistake I made in adding that stupid additional email on July 13th which caused the miscommunication, nor did I act quickly enough on my suspicions at the time that he may have canceled and get any kind of confirmation.

Even so, this was all discovered *tonight*. Let's suppose I didn't have the conversations which I did tonight, and I ended up showing up 2:30pm on Friday only to find out I didn't exist. That could easily have been a very plausible scenario. At least now there is somehow a small window of opportunity to do SOMETHING at the total last minute.

If I can't get a license in Vancouver due to THIS kind of thing happening, then I'm going to throw the towel completely and go for Plan B, which will be to apply for a motorcycle endorsement through the Shanghai vehicle bureau. That way I can get a Chinese motorcycle license directly, but it won't be valid for back home.

Then again, that's probably better, as I don't exactly sing the praises of my home country.

1 comment:

  1. The first visit of a fellow teacher bloggers. My advice for you "Be strong and keep fighting heart, never despair". Please visit me and do not forget to comment on http://ismangurukelas.co.cc/

    ReplyDelete