Thursday 28 July 2011

It's Hot!

With a temperature of already 34 degrees at only 9:30 in the morning, I'm making the call that it's gonna top 40 degrees for the high today.  There's no question about that.  Actually I don't mind the heat here in Shangers, thanks to air conditioning.  This week has been rather relaxing and the best one of the summer.  Ironically I've been doing housework and maintaining the new house I've moved into on the south side of the city.
 
Actually I love this house and the neighorhood!!  It's far enough away from downtown so as to be cheaper and less crowded, yet it only takes 30 minutes tops to reach the downtown part of the city on a very convenient subway line.  That, or the motorcycle.  Within walking distance there is a Starbucks, McDs, many Chinese restaurants, and an air-conditioned shopping mall.  Around that, which is typical for Asia, you will find many other small shops and vendors, etc.   The apartment itself is in a cozy little compound with a garden and it feels homey, and the security guards are not arrogant like at my last place.
 
Given the fondness for the house and neighborhood I'm putting a lot of effort into maintaining it and keeping the place clean.  Unfortunately that means a ton of work, but the free time now allows me to do all the tasks at a reasonable pace.  The Blackberry is helping with the organization.  The latest thing has been to install ADSL (a delay on that, argh!!) and figure out how to work a Chinese washing machine with Chinese laundry detergent. 
 
It's easy enough to get the hang of, literally, as I hang my clothes outside like the locals do.  It's more efficient than using a dryer.  Frankly, who needs a dryer when it's 40 degrees out.
 
Meanwhile, there are a zillion more things to do with the unpacking and sorting out all the junk that was moved over on a motorcycle last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment