Wednesday 27 July 2011

Steep Leisure

Frankly that's how I'd sum up Vancouver in two words.

In keeping with the theme here, it became apparent during a conversation with a friend while in Vancouver that the city may appear to be laid-back and entice visitors with its wonderful livability and natural scenery. But let me tell you something, the residents pay a price for their Vancouver leisure and it is extremely steep.

With all the work that goes into maintaining a lifestyle to have access to this leisure, the residents are really in a rat race and the city is actually quite frantic and stressful. In my opinion, for a working person it`s a terrible place to live and the comparison with Los Angeles is somewhat apt.

Nearly everyone I connected with over the past few weeks was working multiple jobs or otherwise busy as hell during the summer months. Mind you so was I in a bid to get as much done as possible before heading for the exits.

Actually the trip cost me an entire months salary in total, including course tuitions, now that I've finished my accounting. My boss is graciously going to reimburse $1000 for the AP Calculus workshop and he already reimbursed my return air tickets from Shangers so I shouldn't complain too much.

Nonetheless Thailand is still a go as I just found out my employer promised a completion bonus for last year`s contract which was finished successfully. This will in effect be a one month's salary and I'm obviously grateful.

But this all just makes me wonder that the ordinary working Joe who doesn't get these bonuses and reimbursements somehow manages to scrape by in Vancouver while doing his job at Tim Hortons serving coffee or working at some other menial service job. How the hell does he survive like that? I would honestly rather not care to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment