Thursday 21 July 2011

Last Ditch Plan

Unfortunately, my summer break in Vancouver this year has been the least enjoyable I can remember.  However, it wasn't expected to be a cakewalk or a beach sipping pina colada experience.  For those who get jealous that teachers have summers off and just chill out, I hope this blog is education enough that not everyone lounges on the beach during summer if they aren't working.
 
In other words, I knew from the start I'd be working my ass off to achieve and get things from my home country that I'd end up taking back to Asia, and it wasn't going to be easy. 
 
As of now I'm 4 for 5 on the achievements, so this is really better than expected.  Even if the drivers license goes belly up, I can at least say I was 80% successful this summer with getting things done and there is always next year to try again with the license.
 
Also, the motorcycle skills training has been very beneficial in helping me become a better and safer rider.  With or without a new license here, the skills will be modified to fit the Shanghai context and I can improve big time.  It turns out that safety is actually a #1 priority in my motorcycle riding, as is it for most people on the streets in Shanghai.  The interpretation and application of safety on Shanghai's roads is fundamentally different than it would be in western cities, but rest assured, people are definitely thinking of SAFETY when they get on a bike.  It may not appear like it on Asian roads, but SAFETY FIRST is everyone's concern.
 
That all being said, I'm going on a gamble, as it were, to show up as early as possible at the drivers center and apply for a standby road test.  This was suggested and confirmed by several people.
 
The gameplan is already in action.  I've rented a motorcycle from BC Cycle for the 3rd time (total it was set me back is $300+ but it's the only shot I have here).  I'll take it down to the drivers center as soon as the sun comes up and aim to be first in line at 5:30am.  They start picking people in line on a first-come-first-serve basis for standby road tests at 7:00am, and the tests begin at 8:00am
 
If necessary, I'll stay there waiting for 8 hours or however long it takes.
 
If this was China, people would be lining up outside the office the night before.  That's how seriously the Chinese take these sorts of things, and frankly, why should it be any different with me.
I'll play two angles to maximize the odds of success.  One is to wait in a standby line for the general public (hence the 5:30am arrival) and try to get a slot that way.  The other angle is to wait until the motorcycle company comes in with their bikes and then explain what I'm doing to the go-between contact who handles bookings between the company and the ICBC drivers training.
 
In order to play the first angle, I'll need my own motorcycle and gear, hence the rental.
 
At this point, it's only luck or a miracle, whichever way you want to look at it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment