Wednesday 15 June 2011

Movin' Right Along

Today's weather:  High = 24  Low = 21
Rain, of course
 
The good part of the monsoon season right now is that it keeps the temperatures cool and the students in class are more focused as we head into final exam season.  The difficult part is that it makes it next to impossible to find suitable opportunities to move house across the city.
 
When people ask me what moving company I'm using, the answer is invariably Motorcycle Inc.    That is to say, I'm doing the whole move by myself using a motorcycle.  Why not?
 
Unfortunately, it is very weather dependent.  Ideally I'd do this in the afternoon but when it has been pouring for the last several days, that doesn't work.  Today, however, was a rare opportunity of no rain in the afternoon, right after school.  So I pounced on the opportunity and made at least 5 round trips, filling up large hockey bags with as much crap as could possibly be carried.  When the last trip was done, it started raining again!
 
The side effect of doing high-volume moves like this, as expected, was catching the attention of the security guards.  These annoying little pests have a habit of nosing in on your business, and they are especially ready to pounce if they learn you're moving house.  The situation here isn't as bad as Wuhan, but still, it's annoying because the security guards want to direct the whole damn process.  They insist on using a moving van which they invariably arrange and get their commission from.
 
Over the last few weeks I had already moved 60% of the stuff already in small chunks, and the guards hardly noticed.   So I could almost finish the job today, but unfortunately the rush job meant they did notice.  I just made up a bunch of BS when asked what I was up to.  Besides they have no business asking my every move anyway.  I only wish I knew the Chinese for 'none of your business' and will find out sooner or later how to say that.
 
Last thing to go is the television and I'll be using a taxi for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment