Friday 17 June 2011

Productivity in the Rain

Today's weather:  High = 26 Low = 22
Rain, need I say more
 
Yesterday was the grad dinner banquet for the students of the school I work for now, that is in Shanghai.  Refering a couple of posts back, I got to enjoy two grad ceremonies this year.  This marked the 2nd occasion, and it was quite the memorable one.  Dinner was great, in a hotel off the inner ring road, and the speeches were touching and wonderful.  Lots of preparation went into the event, and it was a good mix of both Western and Chinese culture.  This is the 1st graduation class of our school and they have been an excellent group indeed.  Lots of great offers to universities like McGill, UCLA, Michigan State, Waterloo, UBC, University of Alberta, and Queens to name a few.  These students have been working hard all year and their future is obviously bright.
 
I only wish this rain would stop because it is making such a headache for transport.  The grad event last night was out from the city center, no more explanation needed.  I opted for the motorcycle.  Getting there was no problem, but leaving was.  It had started pouring rain during the ceremony, and showed no signs of letting up when we finished around 10pm.  So you can imagine a huge crowd of people standing near the hotel entrance trying to get a taxi, and of course, there were no taxis available and none pulling up.  After assessing the situation for a few minutes, the only conclusion I could make was go for the motorcycle despite the rain deluge.
 
Colleagues said, "You're gonna get soaked!" to which I replied, "Mei banfa" meaning there's not a damn thing I can do about it.  At least I'll get home instead of standing around.  The ride was quick and yes I got soaked.  Thanks to a rain jacket and other gear it wasn't so bad, and my formal clothes escaped relatively dry. 
 
Upon arrival, the annoying pests otherwise that somehow get the name 'security guards' decided to lock the covered area where motorbikes are parked.  This was unusual as they tend to keep it open until midnight.  There were two options at that point.  Park in the rain overnight (no thanks) or make a dash into the underground car parking area were bikes were not allowed.  You can take a guess which option I took. 
 
Now I still have to make two more trips to move house and this damn rain isn't letting up.  The clock is also against me as I'm meeting the current landlord in the afternoon to settle accounts and finish off the contract.  Somehow there better be a break in the rain and I can make those trips, including one necessary run with a taxi.  Since taxis are scarce in the rain, this doesn't bode well.

No comments:

Post a Comment