Friday 23 September 2011

Back on the Steed

Today's weather:   High = 23  Low = 16
Sunny
 
Last school year I frequently tootled around on a Yamaha YBR125 commuter bike, and then sold it to a German guy in June.  Interestingly, he's now letting me "borrow" the bike while he's off to Singapore for National Day.  So it's back on the steed!
 
As predicted, pretty much all safe driving habits learned over the summer went out the window as I'm now back riding on Shanghai streets.  However, I still cancel the turn signals.  
 
What is most shocking is that everything they taught me about dominant lane positions is absolutely useless in Shanghai because the car driers (aka cagers) drive like total maniacs and have disregard for smaller vehicles.  As it stands, might makes right, and the damn cagers think they have the might.
 
Maintaining habits like dominant lane position and other "safe driving" techniques learned in Vancouver is actually very DANGEROUS here because the aggresive cagers will try to swerve around, and also speed excessively if the motorcyclist, aka me, is in the dominant lane and thus blocking their path.
 
In fact, I quickly abandonded this habit as a rich selfish moron in a black BMW nearly pummeled a pedestrian as he was roaring along beside me trying to overtake while I was in the dominant lane.   
 
Ironically, dangerous driving is the way to be safe around here in Shanghai, and safe driving habits from Vancouver are actually dangerous.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment