Wednesday 14 September 2011

Yikes! Potential For Apartment Lock-ins

Today's weather:  High = 32  Low  25
Sunny
 
If anyone has lived in China for any length of time, you have no doubt had experiences with door locks in apartments failing to work as they should.  Maybe they just break down due to typical low quality, the key gets stuck im the lock, the whole lock falls out, or worse, you somehow get locked in.  The last part has happened several times, but not recently.  It means a frantic call to the locksmith, basically.
 
Well today I discovered that my current apartment has the easy potential for me to get locked in if somehow I absent-mindedly left the keys outside in the lock after opening the door, and then closed the door from the inside.  The way it works, you need the key to open the door from the inside, even if it's not actually locked with a deadbolt.
 
If such a scenario happened, it would be a disaster ... it almost did tonight, thinking that I misplaced my keys but they were quickly found.  This was an unintended experiment and shocking discovery that even an unlocked door won't open from the inside wihout any keys.
 
Given my propensity for losing and misplacing things, this is just a disaster waiting to happen.  For that reason, I'm calling the lockmisth and replacing the locks to get something more normal.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment