Sunday 4 September 2011

I Confess I'm a Math Guy

Mild mannered as I am it may not appear that I'm passionate about a lot of things but I am and one of them is mathematics. That being said I'm still trying to figure out what it means to be math guy and to accept that. The idea is to inspire others to also enjoy mathematics, and teaching classes is the best way to do that.

For better or for worse, the stereotype of math guys being socially clueless or unable to clue into the political group dynamics holds true for me. It all gets so confusing and frustrating when people say or act one way but I can't read their intentions from their behavior. And then I'm made to feel stupid from them for not being able to do this.

In the mathematical universe, what you see is what you get. Sure it gets complex but there is always some fundamental basis of order or some principle that you can fall back on. The beauty and elegance of mathematics is found in its order and its literal nature. If only human behavior could be like this.

The majority of people may claim to suck at math but be socially gifted, while I just have to accept the opposite and deal with this transgression that has caused my own society to turn its back on me. But at least in China I'm valued for being a math guy so that's where I will stay for many more years

No comments:

Post a Comment