Tuesday 6 September 2011

A Temporary Motorcycle Break

Today's weather:  High = 26  Low = 22
Cooling down nicely, air-con no longer needed
 
It's rather ironic that I clocked up nearly 50,000km of illegal motorcycle and scooter riding in China, then finally decided to go back to Vancouver and acquire a legal motorcycle license in my home country.  Then I worked my butt off in July and paid big bucks for professional training and rentals in order to pass the road test and obtain the license!  I got it successfully, but at the absolute total last minute.  In fact I nearly missed out due to an administrative error by the motorcycle training company in booking my road test, and ended up going down to the test center at 5am by myself on standby to nab a last-ditch opportunity!
 
With the license finally acquried, it's rather ironic that I haven't ridden a motorcycle since.  Part of it is that the license isn't actually in hand yet  (it's in the mail, and let's hope it arrives).  But with the Shanghai subway only taking 30 minutes to get to work, or back home, there hasn't been much of a need for the bike.  Well, so far at least.
 
The way I see it, I'm taking a temporary break from the riding.  The fact that I haven't had an accident on the road in China with all those kilometers is like a miracle, and I'd rather take the break and enjoy more relaxing commutes on the subway before getting back in the saddle and cheating death. 
 
Based on the calculations, I only save 10 minutes by riding the motorcycle to work in morning rush hour, but the surface traffic is total madness at that time.  Let's just say that the adrenaline experience in the morning is not a fun way to start the day, and it's a constant state of getting ahead of the crowds to avoid being stuck behind LOOONNNNGGGG traffic lights that Shanghai is famous for, and which suck away your precious time.
 
Meanwhile, locals keep saying that the 13-line METRO system is efficient and the best way to get somewhere on time as you avoid the delays and traffic jams..  I've found this to be true, but three conditions need to be met:
 
1.  You live close to a subway station, and your work is close to one
2.  You are taking the Metro for medium-distance trips, or bypassing majorly congested surface areas 
3.  You minimize the number of transfers between lines
 
The plan to live where I have is really paying off because all three conditions are met, and the commutes are only taking half-hour tops.  It seems far where I live, and it's a different district than my work, which explains the huge decrease in the rents.  Nearly half of what I was paying last year.  Meanwhile, a 30-minute commute on the subway is a small price to pay.
 
This isn't to say I've given up on bikes.  More to come on this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment